Lots of bits and pieces these days. I’ll just post some photos & captions as a way of showing what’s been happening on my cupboard project lately. Here it is as it now stands:
I was ready to put the top on the lower case. But first needed to attach this molding around the front & sides. Glue and small cut nails (in lieu of headless iron sprigs.)
Then pegged the top on. 7 or 8 3/8″ square oak pins.
Then the upper case is ready to fit to the lower. The backs are flush, so I’m back there lining it up. To my right is a batch of c. 100 pieces – turnings & moldings painted black and drying by the stove.
Then a mortise to register the top case to the bottom.
Maybe at that point I turned my attention to the upper case. Took the door out & nailed the floor down. To get the middle two boards in place, you have to spring them in. Takes some oomph and some nerve. I barely had either.
Then the door’s moldings. First I installed the lock – I didn’t want to be banging on this door once these moldings are in place. Here’s the outer molding being glued and nailed down. Spacers cut form matboard help align it.
The next molding is the “bolection” molding. It overlaps the panel/frame junction. Barely…it’s only glued and nailed through its top and bottom strips – to the frame of the door. The molding sample shows what I mean…I think.
Then the third frame goes inside the 2nd. I still haven’t decided yet what goes inside that frame…a turned oval maybe, or a faceted molded piece. I’ll fill the space with a block then glue something on there..
(pt 28 Essex County cupboard project 2021/22)