I’ve been working some on the joined chest I started a month ago…here I am fitting one of the panels into the frame. The panel is beveled on its rear face, all around, to fit into the grooves in the frame.
Then knocking the stile in place. This is all a test-fit; I don’t even have the center panel yet.
I had a little time left the other day, so cut some of the details on the framing parts, starting with this chamfer on the top edge of the bottom rail. I start it with a spokeshave, one of the few times I use these tools any more. In my chairmaking days I used them constantly; but now rarely.
Then finished it with a chisel.
and then cut a molding on the bottom edge of the top rail – this molding runs out at the juncture of the muntin-to-rail joint; so I use a scratch stock for it. We call it a “scratch” stock, but it’s really a scraper I think.
See this post for more about this these moldings that fade out: https://pfollansbee.wordpress.com/2012/01/14/scratch-stock-evidence/
by then I was done for the day. More to follow at some point…