well, like I mentioned the other night, if you enjoyed watching me struggle with the walnut high chair, you get another chance to see me wince. I am making two wainscot chairs in oak for a customer – here’s one underway.

wainscot chair in oak

Same customer added two board chests to the gig, neither is Anglo, and only one might be 17th-century. But, to get to do the chairs, I took the chests too – it’s a long story that I won’t go into in public, but here is the original of the walnut board chest.

walnut chest, probably 19th c

 

Simple board chest, nailed together. finished off with applied moldings framing the boards, a two-piece base molding, carved feet, and carved cleats and a lip fitted to the underside of the lid.

the applied molding:

applied molding

the carved pattern attached to the lid:

Maybe you saw the boards loaded in the car in the post this week. I got the timber from Paul Lelito, after meeting him at a SAPFM demo. He had just what I needed, saved me from buying kiln-dried stuff, so now I get to try working air-dried walnut. Here’s a post from Steve Branam’s blog about Paul’s woodcutting business: http://www.closegrain.com/2011/04/sapfm-new-england-chapter-april-meeting.html

I didn’t get any shots yet of the chest nailed up, but tonight I started sawing stock for the cleats and base moldings. After I  jointed one edge, I used a marking gauge to strike the widths I wanted, then ripped them. I like to rip short stuff like this standing up, so I use the holdfast to secure it to the front leg of my bench.

holdfast

I roughed out a few sections,

ripping

then planed them.

That was enough, after working all day, then working into the evening. So then I went home.

 

About these ads